♪ (punk rock music) ♪ (school bell rings) – ♪ When I wake up in the morning ♪ —
– It’s Saved by the Bell! Saved by the Bell! I love this show! ♪ By the time I grab my books ♪ This [bleep] show, man. – ♪ …just in the to see the bus fly by ♪
– Should I be thrilled about this? – ♪ It’s alright ♪ –
– Aw, oh my god! The chair spin. Nooo, he didn’t! ♪ If the teacher pops a test ♪ – ♪ And I know I’m in a mess ♪
– Oh my gosh! Mario Lopez. Oh no! It’s so embarrassing! Nooo! ♪ If I can hand it in tomorrow, it’ll be alright! ♪ (singing along) It’s alright,
’cause I’m saved by the bell! (laughs) Look at that perm. ♪ (guitar solo) ♪ Yeah, I don’t know who
any of these people are. I always wonder what
happens to all these people. Thank goodness graphics have improved. – ♪ ‘Cause I’m saved by the ♪–
– Why don’t we have intros like this anymore? (singing along) It’s alright,
’cause I’m saved by the bell. TV shows from the ’90s were the best. I love how they had the title
at the beginning of the titles and at the end of the titles,
just in case you forgot what you’re watching.
You’re watching Saved by the Bell!! ♪ (punk rock music) ♪ (Finebros) So that was the opening
for a show called Saved by the Bell that soon will be celebrating its 25th
anniversary since it debuted. – Have you ever seen it before?
– No. No, I haven’t. No, I’ve never seen it. It’s like Gilligan’s Island.
I’ve heard of it, but I’ve never seen it. Yeah! Every episode. It was on reruns and stuff. I was scrolling through the channels,
bored, and just clicked on something. I love Saved by the Bell so much. (Finebros) So here’s a picture of the cast… That ’80s hair, though. Oh, I’m pretty sure that’s
the classic ’90s look right there. The girls, first of all, have perms. If anyone got a perm today,
people would be like, “What are you doing?!” Everyone tries to act thug nowadays. These guys are just happy kids. We’re kind of coming
back to this fashion now. Everyone is wearing this stuff again. Some of the stuff we wear
today is fricking crazy. Look at this! I have peacock sleeves. In ten years from now, they’re gonna like,
“That fool looks like an idiot.” (Finebros) Back then, every boy had
a giant crush on Kelly Kapowski. That’s understandable. She’s good looking. It’s creepy ’cause she’s 10,
20 years older than me. At least she’s got brown hair.
That all I’m gonna say. Hey, that’s her!
On the shirt. I almost bought that shirt. Yeah, I’ll make her my Next
Woman Crush Wednesday. I got you, Kelly. (Finebros) Saved by the Bell also was
one of the first instances of a show that had two male leads
that all the girls would choose sides over. It was–who do you pick–Zack or Slater. I knew it! I knew those
were gonna be the two. They’re so average looking. Okay, they’re attractive men, you know.
But they’re not hot. What’s up with the haircut, bro?
Is that a perm or what? (Finebros) So who would you pick?
Zack or Slater? Zack. I’d pick Zack. Zack Morris! Probably Zack. I’ll go with Slater.
You know, I feel so weird saying that. I’ll have to go with Mario Lopez. Zack? I’m not really digging Slater’s hair. Zack. Slater! Zack, ’cause he can stop time
and break the fourth wall! Do you know how cool that is? (Finebros) I’m now going to tell you
real plots of Saved by the Bell, – and you’ll see what you think.
– Okay. (Finebros) After a chemistry accident
causes a cream to be created that seems to get rid of pimples,
Zack gives it to Kelly to get rid of her pimples
before the Homecoming Dance, and it works! But after a period of time,
it turns your face maroon everywhere you put the cream,
so Kelly’s face turned entirely maroon. I saw that one! (Finebros) But she still won
Homecoming queen – because maroon was the school colors.
– (laughs) What? Oy. That’s so lame. That’s awesome! It’s ridiculous, but it works. TV’s not supposed to be realistic.
It’s supposed to be a fun distraction from realism. Everyone is horrible and no one would
vote her if she had a maroon face. I’m sorry, Kelly, but your dreams
are crushed in the real world. (Finebros) Another story.
Zack uses subliminal messaging in songs to make girls fall in love
with various guys, including himself, so he actually was brainwashing
other students into liking him. This is turning really weird. That’s really creepy. What? (laughs) That wouldn’t work! (gasping) Oh my god!
It’s just like a cartoon. The mixed tape was a big ’90s thing, so they just wanted
to make it more creative. (Finebros) So now I’m actually gonna
show you a couple of clips – from the show.
– Okay, cool. Let’s hear your new business ideas! Gentlemen? He ties a piece of cardboard to your bike, peddle to the beach,
and then…show ’em, dude. Dude! I don’t think surfers actually act like that. Ride the waves! (canned laughter) They make them seem so dumb! That’s so mean! Here’s your $100 seed money. They’re probably gonna spend it on pot. – Okay, Mr. Poindexter.
– Mr Poindexter? So typical. – (canned laughter)
– Geeze. Now, as we all know,
this is a pocket protector. – It gives–
– Hey, these are the hipsters now. This is the new look! Revolutionize active wear with…
pocket protector protector! (canned laughter) It’s so stereotypical, it’s insane. It’s kinda like racism,
but with stereotypes. If this was being fed
to teenagers, that’s not great. They’re exaggerating
it much, but it’s funny. Everything has to be politically correct.
Back then, you can do whatever you want. Now everyone’s just a bunch
of over-sensitive people, man. (Finebros) So this show would
also cover serious issues sometimes. So now we want to show you
the most infamous scene in the show’s history, where Jessie,
to balance school and an opportunity to be a singer/dancer,
abuses caffeine pills. I remember this one. One, two, three, Hot Sunday! (cheering) What is she wearing? Oh my gosh! – Right? Right?
– Someone’s hyped. The first time I watched this, I cried. – Come on, we gotta go to The Max.
– He’s so cute. What time is it? I need to take my Geometry test. You already took the test. Where’re we going? Where’re we going?
You’re singing tonight. – I gotta wash my hair!
– No, there’s no time! No time! There’s never any time. I don’t have time to study,
I let everyone down. – I’m so confused!
– (laughs) – Hey, hey, just calm down.
– It’s kinda funny. I feel bad, but it’s kinda funny. – It’s okay.
– Everything wil be okay. – Yeah.
– I just need more of these. Pills?! You mean you
really are taking drugs? – I need them!
– (cracks up) – I have to sing!
– Jessie! You can’t sing tonight! Yes, I can! (singing) I’m so excited! I’m so excited. – (laughs)
– I’m so… – (sobbing)…scared!
– Aw, that’s horrible. (Finebros) So thoughts
on how that was presented? It’s very funny. I mean, it belongs on stage,
not on a sitcom. Her acting was fake as hell. Like…I’m breaking down! I’m so excited! It was a little bit over the top,
but it wasn’t too far off with what can actually happen. From the other clip to this clip,
a complete change of things. This was a serious clip. (Finebros) So many people consider
that to be this joke of a scene. Are you serious?! No!
I took that so seriously. It’s wrong! It’s not a joke. It really touched me. Watching it, it was kinda over the top,
but it grabbed your attention. And you’re still talking about it. (Finebros) Does this surprise you to hear
just how popular the show was – after seeing some of this?
– Yeah. Looking back, it’s ridiculous
that people watched those shows and were entertained by them. I knew it was popular,
but I didn’t know it was THAT popular. No. ‘Cause that’s kids TV today That’s So Raven, Hannah
Montana, is not that far. There were shows like
Full House and stuff like that where they had teenage role models
and characters in them, but this one is entirely focused
on the teenagers and their problems and their life and things
that they’re going through. (Finebros) Do you think the show
would be popular today – if it was exactly like this?
– No! No. (laughs) No. No way. The color scheme…(laughs) I don’t think so. Now they wanna see teen pregnancy
and all this “real” stuff that “happens”, but not really. When we’re watching
something about high school, I want it to be more…like
how high school actually is. High school’s nothing like that. TV’s changed in general. So I think being that over the top now
would kind of be laughed at and people wouldn’t take it seriously. I think if there was a channel
that this could go on and be 100% what it already was
and be marketed well towards people,
not just another kids show, then yeah, this would be insanely popular. Thanks for watching
this episode of Teens React! New react episodes come out every week,
so make sure to subscribe. And remember, there are brand new videos
every week over on the React Channel, so you have to go subscribe over there. Tee-T-Tee-T-T-Teens!
Teens, Tee-T-Tee-T-Tee-Tee-Teens. Go Teens React!