He graduated cum laude from the San Beda College of Law in 1959 He passed the Bar the following year. In 1969, he entered the political arena and became vice mayor of our town. Starting 1992, he served as senator of the republic three times. Friends, It’s my honor to present to you the most Outstanding Alumnus of San Martin High School no other than our beloved senator, Ramoncito Estrella I told fredo then, how could we go to school when we both smelled of carabao manure? So we cut classes and bathed in the river, With the carabao! Afterwards, we didn’t stink of carabao manure anymore. We just smelled like carabaos. Younger alumni would know the Fredo I’m talking about. No other than Alfredo Veneracion. My childhood friend served as teacher and principal in this school. Pardon the old bachelor, He wanted to join our celebration tonight, but he’s been taken ill, Let us pray for his speedy recovery, Thank You By the way, Mrs. Villacampa served as adviser to my daughter, Georgina Estrella, the newly elected mayor of our city who was honored earlier. I dedicate this award to my beloved wife Sylvia. And to our three children, They have been my inspiration through all my struggles in life. I also pay tribute to all my teachers in this school, Because they gave wings to my dreams, they are part of all my triumphs, Thank You and may God bless us all! Yes, Ben? Senator, it’s about Uncle Fredo. I was hardly surprised by Ramon’s decision the next morning. Perhaps it was only I who noticed, Although he kissed me after leaving the stage, he barely mentioned my name during his speech. Instead, he chose to relieve memories of his youth with his best friend. You’re leaving? Yes I’m staying with Fredo If it weren’t for the ceremony last night, I would have fetched him from the hospital. Allow me. Just sit down and watch Thank you, sweetheart. Sit down. – Glenda!
– Ma! You left your ID, Baby, you’re too young to be so absent-minded! Ma, my school service is here. Okay, you take care and be a good girl, huh?
– Yes, Bye, Ma! Yaya, be careful when you cross the street, Papa, where are you going? To your Uncle Fredo’s. He’s terminally ill, isn’t he? Yes, but what’s with the luggage? I’ll be staying with him Ma!
– Hush! Quiet, Just let him leave Okay,
– Sir, take care Pa, wait! what does this mean? You’re leaving Mama? No, we’re not separating. Fredo’s house is four villages away, I’ll call and text her all day But why pack your things?
Can’t you just visit every day? Listen, Marife, Your mom is healthy and strong, Your Uncle Fredo is dying of cancer I need to be with him. But Pa! Take good care of your mother, Ma, why did you let him? Fe, let your father do what he wants, let’s just visit him and your godfather. Come, Nena!
– Yes? Your kids are leaving for school, You take care, Patrick, be careful when you and your brother are crossing the street. Go home right after school Mr. Ben, our uniforms! But I haven’t taken your measurements! Oh, the senator is here! Hurry up, Nena! Good day, Senator! Ben!
– Good day! Good day to you both! You can go, Baldo. I’ll call you when I need something.
– Okay, sir. – Let me take this.
This way Senator. How’s your uncle? Uncle Fredo uses a wheelchair now, he can’t stand up for too long. He must be grouchier now? Here – Fredo!
– You have a guest Fredo I’ll go ahead Ramon! I see you brought a luggage. I’m staying here. I’ll be with you until the very end, Fredo! Fredo! Son of a bitch! The rumor-mongers will have a field day! Relax, brother! Eyes on the road. Has George replied yet? No, I’m sure she’s busy. Let’s just go to her office. Fine, We might as well, I can’t believe Papa, How could he do this to us? My concern is Mama, she’s the aggrieved party here, not us, Not us? Fe, this concerns the whole family. Our whole clan So where will the drainage system pass through? Here, Mayor. Sta. Ines? Yes, Mayor, We can finish that in less than a year. Great! Sounds like a good plan. I like it! I like it! Ma’am, you’re siblings are here. Uh, wait! I was on cloud nine last night! What a thrill to share an honor with Papa! But now I feel like I just faceplanted! What would people say, Emman! What would the whole of San Martin say! Fe, you have to tell us, What is it? You live with Mama and Papa Have you seen them fighting these past few days? No, They’re sweet to each other George, you talk to Papa, okay? I thought it’s the three of us
I should have come alone It’s just you he listens to Fe and I will stand behind you You stay behind then,
Me, I’m fighting for Mama Don’t bother! I know why you’re here. You want me to come home, right? Pa, we know you love Uncle Fredo, we love him, too. He’s godfather in all our baptisms and weddings You caught Mama by surprise to your decision and she nothing to do You also didn’t consult us Fredo’s days are numbered, I want to take care of him until his last breath, Pa, you can just visit him every day, We’ll take turns accompanying you, I already talked to a nurse He’ll come here every day starting tomorrow, It’s important to Fredo that I’m by his side at all times, It’s important to both of us. You have no idea of my debt of gratitude to Fredo, It’s time for you to know I love him We know that, You’re more than friends. You’re more than siblings, Like us. More than that, I love him like I love your mother, That’s unacceptable, Papa! Georgina!
Do not test me! Sit down! What would people say? Let them run their mouths What?
They’ll say I’m gay? My dear children, It’s 2018 Is that still an insult in this day and age? What do I have to lose? I’ve been out of politics for 15 years, Your name will be ruined! Which one? The surname Estrella that you carry? Instead of your husband’s? Is that? You’re livid because your young political career might be in jeopardy Because your father has done something shameful, Ma, why did you let him?
Stand up for yourself, please! You should have stopped him and told us right away. We’re on your side! This is a big scandal for the family.
What a shame! Wait! One at a time! I have a solution, it just came to me now. If Papa really wants to take care of Uncle Fredo 24/7, he can do it here. Right! They have two guests rooms to choose from Maybe just the one on the ground floor,
Uncle Fredo uses a wheelchair already. Then it’s the room downstairs! Quick, Ma! Tell Pa to bring Uncle Fredo here, Everybody happy! Really smart, George! Would I be mayor if I wasn’t? Alright then. I’ll relay your proposal to your father, But don’t expect him to listen. Please, Ma!
Just tell him first. Your godfather doesn’t want to die in the hospital That’s why he demanded an early discharge. If I were in his place, I too would choose to die in my own home, I’m sure you’d follow my wish, wouldn’t you? Plus, I already know what your father would say, ‘Your Uncle Fredo is at death’s door’ ‘Should he be the one to adjust to your whims?’ You know, I love Fredo, too. He and I were already friends
before I met your father. Let us let them be. At their age, they already have their
own lives with their families. I hardly see them together like this, As their mother, I’m very amused to see them
joining forces against their father. Even though I know they’re bound to fall, Still going to the office, brother? Of Course, But my car
is at the town hall, remember? so I’ll ride with the mayor, I thought you’re feeling like a boss, Oh, shots fired, eh? I know you and your sister
are bosses in your offices Hey. that’s not what I said,
I didn’t mean it that way. Oh, come on! But wait, I’m sort of a boss, aren’t I? Remember, I’m already Assistant Head at the Assessor’s Office. Got promoted last year. Excellent! Fine, Sorry, I forgot, Hello, Ben! Hello, Mayor! Ben, just call me Georgina,
We were childhood playmates, remember? That was a long time ago, Mayor. Fine, Sorry if we didn’t talk earlier Our meeting with Papa didn’t go down well, Honestly, I don’t approve of the situation, either, My wife and I can take care of Uncle Fredo,
But what can I do? There’s something you can do,
and this is important. Whatever’s going on there,
I hope it stays in your backyard, Let’s keep it between your family and ours, Is that clear? Certainly, I understand And your customers, make sure they
don’t poke their noses where they shouldn’t Okay, I’ll handle that, George, tell him to put up
curtains on the windows Right, Ben the windows, Cover them with curtains, thick ones. Alright, I’ll tell my wife, Did Papa give you money? Yes, Nena went to market right away, My apologies,
The senator is a picky eater, I have faith in Nena’s cooking, Great! Georgina, the aircon, Ben, do they need a new aircon for their room? No, the aircon there is fine, Good, Ben, If there’s any problem
or you need anything, text me or call me, Yes, Thank You, Mayor. Thank You You may go now, You have jobs to do,
– Bye, Ma. Wait, My attache case. Thank You, Take care
– Bye! Mayor, I’m riding with you Love you, Bye Thank you, Take care Oh, Dad! Lara! Good morning, Auntie. Dad, why are you still here? Something came up, Wait, Did you cut classes?
Why are you home early? No, The prof in my 9 to 12 class was absent, Really? Who was that person who brought you home? Jet, my classmate,
She’s a volleyball player in school Is she a suitor? Dad, too early in the day! We’re not done here,
We’ll talk when I get back tonight, No way, I don’t believe it! So what’s wrong if your daughter is a lesbian? Fe, we know what’s normal and what’s not I have no quarrel with the LGBT…XYZ. There are many productive members
of society who are like them But for me…you know? What? They shouldn’t be so loud or gross, You see? Sis, that’s not acceptance!
That’s condescension, You’re being self-righteous! Both of you are assuming that
my eldest is a lesbian, I don’t believe it What do you call it again? It’s just a phase! It will pass, You wish! Wait, Do you believe Papa is gay? Son of a bitch, Fe!
Change topic, please! We’re always known that
Uncle Fredo swings the other way, But newsflash! He and Papa are lovers! You know, maybe there’s a homosexual bond between Papa and Uncle Fredo. But it could also be… platonic. Or you’re just in denial. Excuse me,
I agree with George. I believe their bond is neither romantic nor sexual. Papa cannot be gay, He was just overwhelmed by
Uncle Fredo’s kindness. Oh brother, you’re another denier! Why? Does loving a gay man make you gay, too? Hey! What’s so funny? George, I thought we’re on the same side I know what you’re going to say next, What? It’s just a phase! Crap! It’s useless to talk to you both. Thanks, Not too much Ramon, enough. You need to eat Go ahead Senator, here. This sour broth is delicious, Nena. You’re better than my cook at home. Thank You It’s her speciality, Senator. Come on, eat. I’ve lost my sense of taste Nena, get some fish sauce.
– Okay Please eat There, try it. It’s salty enough
– You need sustenance What for? My body will not grow stronger So we can live together for a little bit longer. – Hi, Cathy!
– Hi, Sir! It’s good you’re here.
I thought you weren’t coming anymore. Sorry, I’m late. Just a little problem at home. Really, sir? I hope I get credit for my hours,
been here since 8:30 AM. Of course! Wait, What did you do while I wasn’t here? Just checked out my facebook
and took some selfies. Then, what else? That’s it, sir. You didn’t leave any instructions, right? Right, Of course, you’re right. My bad! Don’t worry, you’ll get credit for coming early. Good Do you want coffee? No. thanks, but
I have something for you to encode, Wait, I hope I find it here Sir, why do you smell so good?
– Huh? No, Not really Do I smell good?
– Brother-in-law! Brother-in-law!
-Hey! Hey! there! Hey! Oh, what brings you here?
Come here, sit down. Thank you You seem very busy. No, I was just looking for
something for her to encode By the way, this is Cathy. My Intern. Hi, sir!
– Hi, Cathy! Cathy, this is the First Gentleman, Andy Collantes Of course, the husband of my sister, the Mayor. Hi, sir. Nice to meet you! You want coffee, tea, soda, anything?
No, I’m okay. If you don’t mind, can you
bring us two glasses of water? And on your way but, please tell the janitor
to turn up the aircon, It’s hot in here Yes, sir. Excuse me! Okay, girl
– Take care. Hey! Hey! Wipe that smile off your face Whatever you’re thinking, you’re wrong. That was nothing Bro, I’m not saying anything,
You’re just guilty! I’m not guilty! That smile of yours!
I know what’s running through your mind, You’re so greenminded Anyway, have you heard the news about my dad? Huh?
What happened? Uhm… maybe you should hear it from George. So what brings you here? What can I do for you? I need you to do something for me What’s that? We can make big money
– Good! Okay, Ms. Fe. We’ll expect your support.
– Of course! Sister, nice to see you again,
We’ll see each other at the rally Yes, of course! As always. Alright, Thank You! This coffee is hot, Unlike you. You’ve been lukewarm to me
these past few weeks Think I haven’t noticed? Sorry, Jonel. Just busy at home and at work. I court you for more than a year In secret because we were workmates,
and you didn’t want your staff to look at you differently. I moved to another NGO
to avoid any issues, didn’t I? I know, but I said yes to you
and we became official last March. Yes That was the happiest birthday of my life! But it’s been four months I feel like I’m still courting you I’m really sorry, Jonel. I need you to be more patient with me. I’m trying I really am But I wish you’d show some effort, too You’d been separated from your husband
for four years when we met Are you still bothered by our age gap? Come on, Fe! You’re a feminist and an activist You should be proud to be called a cougar Own it. Embrace it. I guess what I’m trying to say is
I need validation. I’ve met your daughter twice
But you didn’t tell her I was your boyfriend I’ve met your friends, yeah.
But when am I gonna meet your family? When can I have dinner with your parents, huh? When can I meet your sister, the mayor? When can I have drinks with the great senator? Are you ashamed of me? Patrick, what do I do? Granpa, just press up or down Wait, I’ll try, okay? like this? Hello, Sylvia? Are your children still mad at me? I think they calmed down after I told them to Is that so? Who was the angriest? Georgina? Who else inherited your temper the most? May I speak with Fredo? Sure! Fredo, It’s Sylvia Great, Thank You Patrick! Richard!
– Dad! Go downstairs, time to sleep You have school tomorrow Good night, Granpa Fredo!
Good night, Granpa Ramon! Good night! Good night, Senator! Hello, my dear! Hello, my darling. How are you? I’m here, still alive but barely breathing And It won’t be long Stop talking like that Well, I’m ready. Ready… Emotionally, mentally, spiritually Whatever people say, I’ve lived a full life. I have no regrets That’s good to hear And thank you for letting Ramon stay with me You’re welcome. I’ll visit you tomorrow How wonderful! Alright
Ramon and I will wait for you Good night!
– Good night, my dear! Thank You Jack ‘n Poy, Hally hally hoy! Whoever loses is the monkey I’m chasing you
– Tag, You’re it Your turn to chase me Come and get me
– You will not chase me Alfredo, come inside! Enough of that! Just because the war is over
doesn’t mean you can keep playing games It’s almost night! Andeng, tell your son to go home
– Yes, senor! Alfredo! Yes, father Ramoooooon! Ramon! Hey! Fredo!
– We passed the San Beda entrance exams! What? Is that true?
– Yes! Here, Look! I still can’t believe we both got in Imagine my suprise! I was so sure I would fall Don’t underestimating yourself!
You’re not dumb I know but I’m just a son of a farmer who works in this vast rice field that your family own Thanks to your family, Fredo I can go to college If I were to go to Manila alone I wouldn’t dare But I’m not afraid because you’re with me I can fly because you’re beside me Nice enough, isn’t it? Ramon What’s this? Fredo? They’re yours Are you sure?
– I’ve stopped wearing them Thank you so much Fredo Can you help me with Algebra?
It’s not getting through my head. Algebra? Are you sure you’ve been studying? Why don’t you know that? You just need to find the right angle Look at this. I relly don’t get it Here Here, Just follow the equation that’s written there C.A.B. That’s the formula They have values,
Look at the examples Solve them and
I’ll check your answers, Okay? Okay You’re really good Thank you
– You’re welcome And then, No! But that was Sylvia Look, Nena! Oh my God! Let’s hurry They thought we weren’t there That was funny!
– Senator! Good morning, Ben! Good morning Why are you outside? Why not? Ben, didn’t you know that morning sunshine is good for your health? We’re just getting some sun We won’t be long Okay That’s what happened It happened twice! Look, bro! Two grandpas holding hands Hey! What are you looking at? Go away Nothing, sir! What a grouch! Oh wait, I think… Oh, you’re tired? Just a little Fredo! Ben! Ben! Thank you, Lito! Thank you, sir, I’ll come back tomorrow Okay Wait Hold the other side Hold on It’s done Ben!
– Sir! – What’s that? Uhm.. It’s to protect you from the sun To protect us from the sun?
– Yes You mean, so neighbors won’t see us? Who told you to do that? The mayor Georgina, Why? Is this her house? Put that down!
Leave the windows alone Alright Sorry Mayor, Good Afternoon Good Afternoon! Good Afternoon, Ma’am! Good Afternoon, Mayor! Thank You What happened, Ma’am? Your son had a fight with a classmate – Excuse me! It wasn’t a fight My son didn’t retaliate Well, Mr. Lee, Your son started it Mr. Estrella
– Collantes! My surname is Collantes
Rufus’s surname is Collantes Whatever Gentlemen, please calm down! My son asked Rufus a question about his grandfather, the former senator And then Rufus just punched him repeatedly And now my poor son is in hospital with a busted nose and upper lip I should press in charges but why bother? We’d be no match to your
family’s power and influence With all due respect, Mayor but you have a violent son Who does he take after? What you did is shameful! Since when did you become a thug? But I already told you, Mommy!
I just defended grandpa’s honor Erwin said grandpa is gay,
and his boyfriend is Grandpa Fredo Of course, I punched his face! What a jerk! Be thankful that I’m your mother!
If not, you’d have been expelled automatically But they can’t expel me!
I’m a consistent honor student! And this is the first time I got trouble in school Don’t get smart with me, young man! You’re suspended for one week,
so you’re grounded for one week Now, go to your room! Mom! Dad! Grandpa was also the hot topic to our school today I even heard it from my teachers Is it true that he’s gay? Look! Somebody made a meme on Facebook That’s the senator’s car Isn’t that his wife? That’s her alright, Oh no! She’ll give those two gay grandpas hell Serves them right. If you had done that to me
you and your gay lover would be dead meat